Becoming a certified secondary education teacher in Arizona involves a multi-step process and several unique requirements. In order to qualify for initial state certification, you’ll be required to do the following:
- Submit an Application for Certification w/appropriate fee (Application form can be found on Arizona Department of Education website)
- Submit valid Arizona fingerprint records (More information here)
- Completion of a state-approved teacher preparation program (This requirement is satisfied by completing the Teach Arizona program)
- A passing score on the following exams:
- NES Assessment of Professional Knowledge: Secondary
- Subject Knowledge Secondary Education portion of the applicable Arizona Educator Exam
More step-by-step information on certification is available here.
Please note that every state uses a different set of standards and requirements to evaluate requests for certification. If you are not an in-state student, or won’t be teaching in Arizona, you’ll likely have to follow a different process. If you are planning on teaching in a different state, completing the Arizona certification process and seeking re-certification elsewhere may be the best option. We strongly recommend that you consult all relevant laws and standards for your state to ensure that you meet necessary criteria.
To learn more about our Teach Arizona Online Master of Education Program and download a free brochure, fill out the fields below. You can also call (888) 658-1845 to speak to one of our Admissions Counselors.
The University of Arizona respects your right to privacy. By submitting this form, you consent to receive emails and calls from a representative of the University of Arizona, which may include the use of automated technology. Consent is needed to contact you, but is not a requirement to register or enroll.